Creek, on Farm Road 1280 fifteen miles southwest of Crockett in southwestern Houston County, was established after the Civil War and named for its location on Big Creek.
A school began operating there around 1885, and a post office opened in 1888. By the early 1890s the settlement had an estimated population of 150 and several gristmills and gins, as well as a blacksmith, sawmill, chair factory, and general store.
The town began to decline in the 1920s, and by the mid-1930s only a church, a cemetery, and a few houses remained. In the early 1990s Creek was a dispersed rural community with a church and cemetery.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Armistead Albert Aldrich, The History of Houston County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1943). Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687-1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).